Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How Are Babies Made?

One third grader asked me how the baby was made. I told him, "Well, it starts off as a cell. Then it divides in half and then it divides again and it keeps dividing until it forms arms, legs, and everything." He looked at me like I was crazy. I think he thinks I didn't tell him the truth.

I find this question a lot easier to answer.  I can be very technical and tell the truth without revealing any information about how to get pregnant.

One time an older girl asked me this question, she was in the 6th or 7th grade.  After I gave her the explanation she wanted to know how the cell knew to start growing into a baby.  So I told her there was an egg and the egg had to get fertilized.  She asked me how it gets fertilized.  Luckily another student asked a question at the same time and I answered his question avoiding the fertilization question.

No comments:

Post a Comment