Monday, June 20, 2016

A teacher/Mother

Browsing through the internet today I found two articles by women who are both mothers and teachers. Both indicated how tough it is to be both and, well actually, impossible to be good at both. I thought, "Well, how can I write about that, they already have." One of the articles was really long and honestly, I didn't finish reading it. The other one was a length I could read without the risk of falling asleep. Here is the article. If you want to read the lengthy one, here it is

So, what I discovered is this: I am not alone. I am not the only one that feels that in order to be a good teacher I must neglect my children and in order to be a good mother I must neglect my students.

I also confirmed what I already knew. The real reason why I didn't get asked back to my school is because I failed my students. I did not put them before my children. I also did not put my children before my students. I couldn't be a great teacher and a great mother so instead of trying for one, I was neither.

Now I am stuck trying to find another teaching job and I don't want to. I don't want to sit through another interview telling someone that my passion is teaching. That I can't see myself doing anything else. Because all I want to do is be home with my babies. BUT the reality is, I need to work. I need to have a job. But what? Teaching is the only thing I know how to do. What other job could I do to make the same amount (such as it is) as I am making now?

So, now I am wishing that I chosen a different path (a writing career). Now, I am trying to work on my blogs (while I currently have the time to do so) in hopes that I could possibly make some money by blogging. There are other avenues I am trying to do but I fear none of them will pan out before I need to be working again. So now I will be applying for teaching jobs.

I am a teacher. I got pregnant. Now I am a mother. I now understand why at one point in our country's history teachers were not allowed to get married. They were not allowed to get pregnant. If they did, they would have to quit teaching. I get it now. I so get it.




1 comment:

  1. The Solution is out there.....you just have to find it. Many teachers leave and do something else....others leave something else and become teachers. Research, Brain Storm, consult with family and friends, pray. It will come....

    ReplyDelete